Yes, I know that I spend a lot of time complaining about the Y – it is, after all, a freakish hellscape. Why do I keep going then? Well, I have to go somewhere to work out if I want to continue my consumption of gigantic quantities of wine and coconut macaroons – and the Y is both conveniently located and cheap. So, yeah…
Anyhow, Thursday night wasn’t too bad. The main annoyance was the guy who chose, from the literally scores of empty lockers, to use the one directly next to mine as I changed into my sweats – though at least I had only started undressing and I was able to move to another less intimately located locker. This is the type of guy who’ll use the urinal right next to you despite there being 12 other unoccupied urinals. Weirdo. Also, the lady who was wearing so much perfume that it made my eyes water from eight feet away while I used the elliptical machine was not making my evening. Yeesh…
But (before the designer imposter fragrance assault), I was peacefully enjoying the view from the elliptical machine. The Y is located directly across from the SF Bay, so I was gazing at the water at dusk, the western span of the Bay Bridge beautifully lit up for the evening. And there were a couple of sea lions frolicking in the water… Really kind of amazing and a reminder that while I may hate the gym, I do love San Francisco.
Well, it’s not like I actually make resolutions to start the year – but I am going to try posting on a more regular basis after the holiday doldrums. But really, what could I have posted between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day? “Drank heavily last night, ate breakfast at Chow, spent afternoon on sofa watching a Law & Order marathon, got take-out for dinner.”
But I am trying to get back into fighting form. Limited myself to two glasses of cava tonight – due largely to that’s all I had in my apartment, but still… In my defense, though, I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and did not purchase any wine. A first!
Also went to the Y tonight for the first time since November. I was happy to discover it was not mobbed with new members attempting to fulfill their preposterous resolutions to get in shape. I had mixed feelings, however, about the fact that the place is still filled with the same assortment of freaks and weirdos. To wit:
- Creepy McCreeperson continued his campaign of repeatedly and unabashedly undressing me with his eyes.
- Standing-Too-Close Lady was in the weightlifting area, invading my personal bubble while doing her weird and far too vigorous stretching exercises.
- Kinda-Cute-Possibly-Gay Dude put two 5-lb weights on the bench press and then proceeded to sit on the bench reading a magazine for 15 minutes. I never saw him lift. Not cute.
- Aspiring-Muscle-Head eschewed clipping the weights onto the bar while bench pressing – and immediately sent two 75-lb weights crashing to the floor when he lost control of the bar.
- Old-Guy-With-Really-Horrible-Toenail-Fungus spent 10 minutes using the hand dryer to dry his feet and sandals. While nude, of course.
Eh, all par for the course I suppose. I guess I’ll get used to it again (yeah, right). Happy New Year!